Thursday, June 3, 2010

I wanna feel what music tastes like

For those of you who don't know this about me, let me tell ya. Two things have the power to deeply move me, music and dance.

I find that God speaks to me through both, sometimes quietly and sometimes loudly.

Music that inspires me, challenges me, grips me, pulls me in, and plants itself inside of me, to push it's way through my hard, barren heart. That's the kind of music I surround myself with.

Last night, while watching the new season of So You Think You Can Dance, I was deeply moved and astounded by an amazing young man by the name of Jarrell Robinson. Who loves to dance, and loves to feel the music.

He is deaf.

He made a great statement that struck a cord within me, and I just loved. He said, "I wanna feel what music tastes like..."

I can hear music, I can feel it too, but what does it taste like?  Interesting question....it got me thinking. It depends alot on the mood that the music draws out of me. When I'm in church, worshipping God, it tastes like warm waffles on a cold day, dripping with butter and sticky, sweet syrup.

What does it taste like to you?


Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

2 comments:

JLI said...

What a thought-provoking question. I'm not sure I can answer that.

Comparing music to a taste...

Now, I CAN compare music and what it invokes to COLOR.

I can compare almost ANYTHING to color.

Uplifting, cheerful music is yellow. Bright as the glory of God Himself.

Hymns, choral music and slow melodic tunes are red. Comfortable and warm to your soul.

The songs where you get totally lost in the worship are white. The world around you is erased as you find yourself completely engrossed in praising God. The world just...disappears. It's you and God. Your surroundings are expansive; there are no limits or boundaries. Yet you are close to God. The white is His glory abounding!

Emotional songs...ones that bring forth tears are blue. Blue is cleansing, refreshing and purifying. Letting go of tears, whether in sadness or excessive joy empties you out. You lay everything down before the Lord God and in return, you are given Him in His fullness.

Annette said...

Thx for that....isn't it fun associating things with senses that we would not normally think of. I've been learning to do that in a writing course I am doing. They posed questions like what does Anger taste like? It's really makes you think!