Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Going back to my roots.

It's another one of those days where I'm longing for touches of home....well, African home that is. And I found myself listening to Ladysmith Black Mambazo, and drinking tea. Yes, tea!!    I. Love.Tea.
And I love Ladysmith Black Mambazo. There is something about their songs, that just conjour up images of African sunsets, the bushveld, and everything South African. It always puts a smile on face watching the lead singer Joseph Shabalala sing. He makes the funniest faces sometimes, and puts such emotion into it.  My mom & sister got to see them perform live in the UK, and I was NOT jealous, NOT. Okay....maybe a little....alright then, I was. OKAY!!

So I took some time to find some fun and totally different LBM songs for y'all to hear. You might to firm fans, or totally new to their music. Either way, I hope you enjoy it. (And I bet you'll be singing the African Alphabet song all day.......)



That one was a double bonus for me as I also love The Muppets.....if loving The Muppets is wrong, I don't wanna be right!
This next one is a little more updated, and does not involve Jim Henson puppet characters....



.....but it did include Dolly Parton. I'm not a big fan, but hey....just seeing Joseph Shabalala's face in that clip, makes it all worth it!

And lastly some vintage LBM. I remember singing this song, and driving everyone mad......"somebody say, i ihi, ihi....somebody sing why, why why....". Memories!



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

AllAmericanGrl said...

this totally made my day!! I love the Ladysmith Black Mambazo!!! While growing up, my mom would blast them from our kitchen cd player :) Thanks for sharing, it brought back memories.

Ohhh and I LOVE when the played with Paul Simon ... Diamond on the Soles of her shoes!