Monday, February 8, 2010

Koeksisters in China Town, Houston

Wow, I managed to get 3 nations in my title today. Nice!

It was time for the Koeksisters (you can read about them here) monthly get together, and this time it included a trip to Houston China Town, and a visit to a nice Chinese Restaurant in the area. I was really looking forward to this one!

It was a small group of us this time around, and in complete reversal, I was the "tourist" walking around taking photos of all things chinese. It was fun!



















The store in the mall we went to, was mainly a huge fresh fish/seafood/meat/veggie/grocery store. And while a few of the ladies spent their time running through their shopping lists (they tell me the fish is great & well priced too), myself and another fellow Koeksister browsed around,  just checking out the vast array of items on the shelves. It was an education let me tell you.

Here are just a few of the items that piqued our curiosity.....

Preserved duck eggs........ slimy things which did not look appetizing!


















The crabs were HUGE I tell ya. And just sat there staring at us....







The name of this says it all..........smell fish???

 
This, if you didn't already know , is a Banana Flower. Doesn't look like a flower, or a banana. Although it does look the same colour as the few measly bananas lying in my fruit bowl at the moment..... I've gotta throw them out! I think they are even past the banana bread stage!

These pork uteri were just NOT GOOD!! Hence, no visuals.... 

Lastly, we have the Jackfruit. I had to google this one, as I'd never heard of it before, it turns out that it's the national fruit of Bangladesh. It's about the same size as watermelon.

The restaurant we went to was very nice, and we were treated to Dim Sum. And as we had a friend of one of the Koeksisters visiting from Singapore, she was able to order for us, and gave us a great selection of food to try.

So all in all, we had a great morning. And if you are in Houston and decide you just have to get yourself some Smell fish with a helping of Banana Flower, you'll know where to go!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Kacie said...

Great pics! Jackfruit was a regular in my house growing up. It can easily be too slimy if it's overripe, or sorta tasteless and dry if it's underripe. But if you get a good one - yum!