Thursday, May 13, 2010

Proud to be an African

I have been watching some DVD's I stumbled upon at our local library. As soon as I saw them lying on the shelf, I knew I  had to watch them again. They are from a TV series that came out in the early 80's. And they bring such a flood of wonderful childhood memories back to me, and also a yearning for my home country - Africa!

The TV series was called "The Flame Trees Of Thika", and if any of you have seen them, you will understand why they make me so homesick. Even though it was filmed in Kenya, it reminds me of the bushveld in South Africa that I have grown to love and appreciate.

So in my state of longing of all things African, I decided to share this little clip with you. It is a speech from the former South African president Thabo Mbeki, that he recited in parliament. The South African Tourism Board have made a video around the speech, and I just love to watch it over & over (it's on my YouTube playlist).

The country is far from perfect, like any country I guess. But once you have spent a fair amount of time there, it simply gets in your blood, and beats in rhythm with your own heart. It is a beautiful land......



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: