Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Nostalgia

コスモス flowerImage by PapiGiulio via Flickr

nos·tal·gi·a
n.
1. A bittersweet longing for things, persons, or situations of the past.
2. The condition of being homesick; homesickness.



Today I am nostalgic.

Nostalgic for my old home, my friends, my family. I expected these days. I knew that they would bring with them those feelings of heaviness and sadness. Today, however I don't feel the usual heaviness, just a longing...an emptiness.

It's an unusual emotion to effectively convey in words, unless of course you have experienced them first hand. Then you too would understand this feeling.
I am sure that most people who have gone through this journey, like we have, of leaving all they know behind them, experience their own set of emotions. It's an exciting road, but also a lonely one at times. Thanks to technology and media, we are still able to stay in touch with loved ones. However, nothing can beat the real thing! I long for conversations around a cup of coffee or tea. Chats with my other mom-friends outside the kid's school. Offloading with my best pal. Dinners at friends houses, and braais around the pool. All these things bring a smile to my face as I remember them.

I also long for familiarity. Familiar places, familiar tastes, familiar smells. I miss knowing which shops to go to when I something, where to find the best bargains, and where the best parking spots are when I get there! And I know this will sound really strange to some of you, but Africa has it's own smell, I can vividly recall the smell while driving through the Drackensberg mountains, the soil after the first rains (I really love that), the smell while standing on the pier in Hout Bay, Cape Town.

I have been listen to this song today, it's a beautiful piece of music and it kinda sums up the way I'm feeling......hope you enjoy it too.





Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

Kacie said...

I can totally relate to this. Even after getting used to saying goodbye and living far away from people I love, I still react very badly to moving to a place that is unfamiliar. It takes a long time to feel like a whole human being again after that!