Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Too hot to handle


Well, we need to prepare ourselves for 3 digit temperatures tomorrow. Apparently the mercury will hit 100 degrees F and higher. Add to this the humidity, and we're looking at about 40 - 42 degrees C.

This answers a question I've had niggling at the back of my mind for a few weeks now...... WHY, do I not see anyone walking outside in the gardens? I had imagined to see many people, especially the kids, running around all over the reserve, especially since summer break started about 2 weeks ago. However, the opposite has been happening! I now understand that everyone has been taking shelter inside, seeking relief from their air-conditioners.
I suppose this never occurred to me sooner, because in South Africa I am so used to seeing people out and about during the summer months. People are always outside....working in the garden, braaing, kids playing in the sprinklers in the yard, and a general flurry of outdoor activities abound.

The kids and I decided to step outside today, and see just how hot it was! It was the kind of heat where you feel you can't get a breath of fresh air. It covers you like a blanket. Oh, it was beautiful out there, bright blue skies, wispy clouds and the squirrels were running up and down the trees. But we didn't stay out long!
We decided that we could appreciate the view better from inside the house. And we thanked God for our air-conditioner!!!

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments: